LIT - Čas proměn' (Time of Changes) w/Mark Baker
Guest: Mark Baker, journalist and author - new book Čas proměn' out now!
Writer Mark Baker has been in the region for most of his life, writing new articles, guide books for Fodor's and Lonely Planet, a blog and much more. When he was asked to evaluate the time of the Velvet Revolution from his own perspective, it gave him a chance to visit and re-evaluate that period of history as well as hid own life. The result is Čas proměn', a personal look at a time when history became very personal indeed for a large swath of Europe.
01:40 - The rationale for the book
04:47 - 1989 in a nutshell
10:18 - 1990 is an underappreciated year
16:13 - 1991-92: The Prague Post & difficult times
18:25 - Chill out, past Mark
21:39 - Left bank of the 90s
25:48 - The Globe café & bookstore
33:23 - Ghosts & memory
37:00 - Call it "The Changes"
- Music by Fanette Ronjat
- Buy Čas proměn online from Albatros Media
- Mark Baker on Twitter
- Cas promen on Instagram
- Mark Baker's blog
- The blog post that caught the publisher's attention
- Mark Baker on Radio Prague
- 1992 LA Times article about Americans in Prague
- 1997 Washington Post article about how "Prague is over"
- Nancy Bishop's 2004 film "Rex-patriates"
- Conspiracy Thinking in Eastern Europe - Mark Baker on the Conspiracy Clearinghouse podcast
For events in Prague, go to the Facebook page The Prague Haps
Follow us on social for extras:
Other Podcasts by Derek DeWitt
- DIGITAL SIGNAGE DONE RIGHT - Winner of the 2021 AVA Gold Award for Best Podcast Series and the 2020 Communicator Award of Excellence for Podcasts Series-Corporate Communications and on numerous top 10 podcast lists.
- CONSPIRACY CLEARINGHOUSE - A rather skeptical look at conspiracies and mysteries. Each episode will examine conspiracy theories, most of which are not true, a few of which might be a little bit true and even a couple that turned out, in fact, to be true. This is the podcast that dares to look behind the curtain that’s behind the curtain.